Vecmilgravis :: Other Riga
Vecmilgravis is Riga neighbourhood located in the northern part of the city.
According to the order of Roman Pope, to secure Riga from possible invasion of an enemy and to endow commerce on Daugava,
Bishop Albert in 1205 in about 10km in northern direction from the centre of Riga ordered to build the St. Nikolay church.
In 1208 construction works ended. In 1206 ditch was scooped, which connected Kishezers with Daugava, and water-mill
was also built. Therefore the channel was given a name of Mill ditch (Milgravis). Today Milgravis channel is useful
for shipment. This place had a strategic meaning, because it allowed to control the water way on Daugava.
Daugava affected the development of Vecmilgravis, which constantly changed its bed. As a result of that
Mangalsala became the biggest island on Daugava and old gutter or Vecdaugava became a narrow mouth.
The inhabitants of Vecmilgravis were experiencing inundations up until the 19th century.
Up until the start of 20th century Vecmilgravis starting to emerge as a working block. It was connected to the
activities of August Dombrovskis, who was providing the workers of his sawmill with the places to live in, that
is how the elementary school and kinder garden were built. A lot of houses he built are still standing.
Today Vecmilgravis is one of Riga sleeping blocks, where it is possible to meet the buildings of Soviet time and the
wooden architecture of the 20th century. One the the most modern harbour control centres is also situated in Vecmilgravis,
and also there is Ziemelblazma, White Church, "Magician House".