Agenskalns — district in Riga, located at the left bank of Daugava. The name Agenskalns emerged form the name of Hagen farmstead. In the 17th century the lands along the bank of Daugava were his property. But the inhabitants of the Agenskalns territory emerged far before the actual emergence o farmstead. In the documents of 1226 the mill of St. Maria is mentioned, which is the oldest construction on the left bank of Daugava of the territory of today's Riga.
Agenskalns was typical residential block with wooden buildings, which could be very easy burnt in fire if necessary. During the Northern War Agenskalns was demolished and then restored. But in 1812, waiting for Napoleon army to arrive was burt in fire again.
The wooden construction of Agenskalns is the pearl of wooden architecture, even though a lot of many-stored buildings were built during the 20th century near wooden houses.
At the very start of the 20th century the new social centre of Agenskalns started to emerge in the region on today's Agenskalns market.
In 1885 along both sides of the road to Kalnciems pine tree boron was growing, which started after Balozhu Street. Agenskalns pine trees was the first residential block built in Riga after World War II.
Old Television Tower, Agenskalns market, wooden architecture, Maras pond - this is just a small part of the whole beauty of Agenskalns.