Mezhaparks (in German known also as Kaiserwald) is a neighbourhood in North Central Riga. The name is literally translated as 'forest park'.
In 17th century Mezhapark neighborhood went by the name Kaiserwald, because in 1621 Sweden King Gustav II built a camp for his army on this place. This name remained until 1923, when it was officially changed to Mezhapark.
Until the middle of 19th century farmers lived on this place, they provided Riga with their production. It was also the place of rest for city people during summer time. At the end of 19th century the main engineer of Riga thought of building villas in the lake Kishezers region. At the beginning of 20th century the active building has begun. More then 100 dwelling-houses were built. But the situation changed after World War II, when beautiful villas were nationalized and after this many houses were left. In the 1990s houses were given back to their owners. Nowadays Mezhapark is one of the most prestigious regions of the city.
Riga Zoo is another favorite city people's place to rest. It is the oldest Zoo in the Northern Europe.
The big Song Festival stage is also situated in Mezhapark. The festival takes place every four years. There is also the Green Theatre and the smallest Lutheran church in Riga.