The Bastion Hill
6th slideshow image7th slideshow image8th slideshow image1st slideshow image2nd slideshow image3rd slideshow image4th slideshow image5th slideshow image
Latvian Russian
LiveInternet
Яндекс.Метрика
The Bastion Hill :: Historical centre of Riga :: Sights of Riga :: Other Riga
The Bastion Hill

The Bastion Hill

The Bastion Hill
2008

After the Crimea war the Riga Guildhall decided to demolish the defensive dykes around the city, because they haven't already had their military importance. The city fortifications were demolished in 1857. The soil of the defensive dykes was used to make 15 m high artificial hill, which was called Bastion hill. In the year 1860 the pavilion was built on the top of the hill. In the year 1880 the Bastion hill was rebuilt according to the project of Georg Couphaldt, the footpaths going to the top were built. In 1884 the territory near the hill was landscaped, the trees were planted, but Riga bird society has gifted two swans to Garden administration. The little swimming house was built according to the project of Henrich Shell for their needs.

Photos of the Bastion Hill
The Bastion Hill The Bastion Hill The Bastion Hill

The Bastion Hill

The Bastion Hill

The Bastion Hill


The Bastion Hill on the Riga map


dekor